Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Inherited furniture

Question
Sideboard
Sideboard  

Library table
Library table  
We have a sideboard & "library " table that were our grandparents.  We are trying to determine value for insurance as well as resale, if any.  I am attaching photos.  I have more photos for detail I can submit. The sideboard top drawer is lined & is three sections. The table has a metal plate with Colby's  C 23085 on it.

We also have a phonograph cabinet but no photos.  May I submit them later?

Thank you for your assistance.

Answer
Janet - Your sideboard is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Hepplewhite style Federal period piece of the early 1800s. George Hepplewhite was an English designer whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. He is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name. Your cabinet was made in the first half of the 20th century. The wood is crotch cut mahogany veneer. Crotch cut veneer is cut from the intersection of a large branch with the trunk or the intersection of two large branches. That creates the "flame" or "feather" pattern seen in the veneer. Based solely on the single photo I would estimate the cabinet would sell at auction in the $500-$800 range.

The library table looks like a "cobble" of two different tables. Colby's of Chicago was a retailer, not manufacturer so there is no way to tell who actually made the table or tables. Sorry I can't help you with that one.

I will be happy to take a look at the phonograph cabinet.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor