Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Oak Buffet

Buffet Front
Buffet Front  

Middle section
Middle section  

Thank you in advance for helping us learn more about this piece. I was thinking of retrofitting this buffet for a bathroom but am hesitant until I learn more about its history.

How old do you think this buffet is and what might its value be?

Do you know what company made it? The only identifying mark is one stenciled on the thin plywood back that says 2086-ORED (I wondered if the ORED meant red oak?)

The rest of the buffet seems to made out of thick solid wood, the drawers are dovetailed but seem slightly uneven in their construction (no two drawer corners are alike). Of the three cupboard doors - the two on either side seem to have a design in black stain? marked on their doors and the design of the middle door is carved or routered into the wood. The drawers and doors all feature teardrop pulls. They are tarnished and appear to be cast so we are wondering if they might be brass.  

Finally, we're stumped as to what the semi-circular cut-out is inside the buffet behind the middle door. Why did they manufacture the buffet this way?

I've attached a few photos. Thank you for taking time to help us learn more about this piece.

since there were thousands of manufacturers operating in the late 1800s into the 1900s, without a label there is no way anyone can tell you which one made this.  often times you will hear and read someone claiming a certain manufacturer but it will be a guess unless one of the highest end makers or a maker with certain characteristics like horner, belter and such.

as to the curve in the center shelf, this is usually done so taller items can be placed in the interior.  some only have half shelves in the interior.  this we sometimes see on the end shelves, the half ones.

the wood is oak and this was manufactured n the 1920s.

the numbers and letters would have been some type of proprietary inventory or stock number denoting style and stain or in this case wood-oak.  but i think not red oak, mostly white oak was used.

jacobean style

hope this helps

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971