Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old bedroom furniture

Question
Bedroom Furniture No.1
Bedroom Furniture No.1  

Bedroom Furniture No.2
Bedroom Furniture No.2  
Hello Mr. Taylor,

I have attached a couple of photos in hopes that maybe you could tell me what kind furniture I have and if it has any value. I inherited it from my grandmother and I don't know anything about it.

Thank you,
Shawn

Answer
Shawn - The style of your bedroom set is called Art Deco, a term coined in the 1960s. When the style was introduced in the 1930s it was called Art Moderne. Your pieces are made of walnut veneer and secondary woods. The rounded front edge is called a "waterfall". The veneer on the top runs from back to front instead of side to side as it does in most styles. As it goes over the rounded edge this gives the effect of “going over a waterfall.”

The set was made sometime in the late 1930s to the late 1940s but the mirror will have a date on it. Virtually all  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

The chest has some serious condition issues with the veneer.

The vanity would sell at auction in the $100 range and the chest in the $50 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor