Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Three legged drop leaf table

Drop Leaf table
Drop Leaf table  
QUESTION: I purchest this table today and have figured out that it is a Duncan Phife Style table however I have had trouble finding information on the manufacturer. The stamp on the bottom says "Silvercrest." It looks very similar to all the other three legged drop leaf tables except the legs are flat rectangular shaped and the grooves in the legs are very fine and not to coarse grooves I have seen on most. Just wondering what I had. Thanks in advance.

ANSWER: silvercrest is most likely the furniture store.  please use the followup function and post a picture of the stamp.

the table is commonly called duncan phyfe style but in actuality it is more in the sheraton style.  much like all copies of paper documents were called xerox, a name commonly used that becomes the norm.

these tables were manufactured by thousands of manufacturers with different nuances.  some more or less elaborate than others.

do you have the insertable leaves?  it will be mahogany veneers on the tops and sometimes the apron, the base usually sweet gum all stained to match.

hope this helps, awaiting the stamp picture

QUESTION: Here is a picture of the stamp. Thanks for your help.

I was mistaken, silvercrest was a manufacturer in superior Wi.  I finally found some information on them when they were sued by Brandt Furniture for infringement in 1948 for the design of the table style you now have.  I believe the suit was dismissed.

do you have leaves?

these sell around 450-550 with one leaf and in usable condition with a good intact finish.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971