Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Buffet

Buffet Front
Buffet Front  
Buffet Back
Buffet Back  
QUESTION: Please see attached photos regarding an old buffet with several coats of paint on it.  The back of the buffet is stamped:  C.B. Atkin Co., Knoxville Tenn.  I can't find much information on the company, other than they were making furniture from the late 1800's to at least 1909, and then shifted to making more fireplace mantels rather than furniture.  I took one of the drawers to a local furniture refinisher and after scraping off a patch of paint he said the wood was Walnut veneer.  My your opinion, would it be worth the investment to have this buffet refinished/restored?

ANSWER: This sideboard would have been made around 1940.  It is a classic style that has been and still is manufactured.  When the company shifted to mantles they did not stop making dining room furniture.

It is mahogany veneer, never were these made in walnut and it is most likely that this was manufactured as government housing furniture since this style was so popular. The pulls have been changed.

go here and scroll down to the sideboard/buffet:

or here

As to having it redone.  Keep in mind that it was painted for a reason.  there might be burns or other disfiguring abuse on the surfaces or some veneer might be missing.  how much did the person want to restore??

QUESTION: Quoted price for refinishing was $875.  Your thoughts?

I would have charged more.

ask what type of paint remover or what process he is going to use to remove the paint.  Sanding should be limited.  color would be best using a penetrating oil stain (dye stain).  Mohawk penetrating oil dark red mahogany or Mohawk penetrating oil brown mahogany are the better stains on this furniture reduced 50/50 with mineral spirits.  If all the paint does not come out of the grain then after the brush staining it would best be followed by toning with 1-2 ounces per quart added to the top coat lacquer.  Some do the toning before brush staining.  I have better results adding the toners to the lacquer.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971