Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cedar chest/trunk

Question
Cedar chest
Cedar chest  

Outside cedar chest
Outside cedar chest  
I have found a west branch cedar chest and am trying to determine its value.
West branch is branded in the lid. Looks like it's made of oak. Has a drawer at the top, not the full length and
another drawer at the bottom "separate" from the center storage area.
Cedar lined. A few nicks/scratches.

Answer
Michelle,
The West Branch Novelty Co. of Milton, PA was founded in 1893, but they made this style cedar chest during the 1920's and 1930's. They made many styles of the cedar chests and this one is cedar with hardwood veneer covering. Most people call these a "waterfall" style but I don't think that was the original style name.  The veneers were usually more exotic woods such as zebra wood or mahogany from Africa and South America, and it is not oak.  These are starting to become more popular but there are still quite a few around and many US companies made cedar chests during the early to mid 1900's.  So the prices are not generally too high and if all the veneer is in good condition and the drawers and other features are also in good condition, the value is currently in the range of about $250 to $400, but some are seen at higher prices in some antique shops. Some simpler models can still be found at lower prices.  I hope that helps.

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller