Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Louis Rastetter folding chairs

I recently purchased 4 wood folding chairs with the 5 horizontal bar back. number 426 on the bottom and patent number 1926840-209870. Could you tell me what year they were made? Two cushion seats are light tan the other two are green and I think they were re-cushioned. If I strip the wood and re stain and put new cushions on the seat am I taking away from the value of the chairs? Thank you

Dawn - Patent number 1926840 was issued in 1933. That is the earliest the chairs could have been made. The chairs have very little value because so many were made. They sell at auction in the $100 range for four chairs and the matching table.  

You won't take away any value by good restoration. Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida