Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Opening a 1930's Mills gum machine.

Hi Jack,

I have a 1930's Mills stainless steel gum dispenser. These were found in suways railway stations etc. I do not have the key and can not open. Looks in good shape but may need some resortaion on the inside hopefully just a good cleaning and oiling. I need help getting this open. I live in the chicagoland area. Thanks for your time and response...Best Regards....Pete

Hi Pete, Mills used keys exclusively for Mills machines only. They were cut in a
center groove, making them virtually impossible to duplicate. I know of no one who
has the codes necessary to duplicate a key. Also, a completely different key
cutting machine is needed. I would suggest you contact Alan Sax from Long Grove,
IL. He is a slot machine dealer and may have information or the necessary equipment
to cut Mills keys. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Regards,  Gumgod

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Jack Freund

I have 35 years experience in the coin op field, specializing in old gumball and peanut machines. Also trade stimulators, especially turn of the century cigar store machines, both cast iron and wooden machines.

I have owned over 3000 coin operated machines. Much knowledge comes from experience as there is not a lot of documented information on many coin operated machines. Experience is the teacher.

Coin Operated Collector's Association

I host a column in the C.O.C.A. Times, (the magazine for members of the Coin Operated Collector's Association). The column is titled "Tales Of The Hunt" and features stories and comments about member's great (and sometimes not so great) finds.

I have been a dealer at the Chicagoland Slot Machine and Coin Op show since it started. Look for me in Booth F-09. Stop by with your questions or photos. I'll try to help you or buy your machine if you prefer.