Collectibles-General (Antiques)/opening a mills penny gum dispenser

Hi Dave,

I have a 1930's Mills stainless steel penny gum dispenser.They usually dispensed chiclets and adams . These were found in subways. train stations,etc. It looks to be in good shape but I do not have the key. I need help in getting it opened. Thanks for your time and response...Best Regards....Peteoa3eo

Hi, and thank you for your question.

I have seen many Mills machines that have had the rivets drilled out and the locks removed.  Apparently missing keys are a common issue with these machines.  Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a selection of Mills keys available.  Finding someone who owns one with a key to copy would be helpful only if they have the same key number as your machine.  A good locksmith may be able to make a key for it.

I wish I could offer more help for you but there is really no easy answer to your challenge.

Good luck,
Dave brown

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dave Brown

I can answer questions about vintage coin operated gum, gumball, candy and peanut vending machines. I do not have information about other areas of coin-op such as pinball, arcade, or slot machines. My specialty is exclusively in vending machines, which means I have a more detailed focus and a more extensive knowledge than others in this area.

I am an expert in the field of antique and vintage coin operated gum, gumball, candy and peanut vending machines. I have been a very active collector of vintage vending machines for over 20 years and currently have several hundred machines in my collection.

C.O.C.A. (Coin Op Collectors Association)

In my 20-plus years of collecting vintage vending machines I have acquired a tremendous amount of knowledge in the field. In addition to the numerous brands and models of machines, I am also knowledgeable about many details and nuances that may be overlooked by a more casual collector.