Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Quarter Sawn Oak Buffet

Question
Buffet - Front View
Buffet - Front View  

Buffet - Dovetails
Buffet - Dovetails  
Fred, I was fortunate to buy the buffet shown below at auction recently. I am a hobbyist refinisher and this piece will be beautiful.

I would appreciate your feedback on style (the hardware is stunning) and age ... the drawer round dovetails tell me this is perhaps a genuine 100+ year old antique.

Thank you.

Gary

Answer
Gary - Your buffet is actually called a "server." It was used in the dining room as a backup buffet for extra storage and surface area. The style is simply called "Golden Oak" for the period of American furniture called Golden Oak, circa 1880-1920.. The hardware is not original. It is a modern catalog replacement from a vendor like VanDyke's, Horton Brass or WSI.

The round dovetail joint, sometimes called a “scallop and peg” or “scallop and dowel” is actually a Knapp joint, first patented by Charles Knapp in 1867. It is the first fully machine made drawer joint to be put into factory production. It went into a Massachusetts factory in 1871 and was used until around 1905 by many manufacturers. I presume these are the rear joints of the drawer. Are the front joints the same?

The server was made 1890-1900.

Thanks for writing. Nice piece.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor