Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Re- caning Taylor Wing Rocker

Question
Taylor Wing Rocker
Taylor Wing Rocker  

Taylor Wing Rocker
Taylor Wing Rocker  
I found a "Taylor Wing Rocker" at a resale store and would like to know how to attach the cane in the area around the arms. If you look at the photos you will see that there isn't any grove for spline. The rocker had a cushion seat that I took out to re-upholster and found that it actually needs a cane seat, so I need to fill and sand the holes and re-cane. If you could help me in anyway regarding this project, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Answer
Marilyn - Not sure I completely understand the question. I assume you know how to recane using sheet cane. The spline is still in place in one part of the frame. You need to remove it using vinegar and a sharp tool. Then do the same with other sections where some of the cane remains in the groove. For the intersection of the frame joints around the arm post you just cut the cane to fit and leave it open at the joint.

I did this same chair several years ago for my sister. It had belonged to our grandmother. Another similar chair is shown on page 72 of the book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books. http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Depression-Era-Accessories-1920S/dp/0891453326/r

Good luck.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor