Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Roos chest key



Someone accidentally locked the key inside my (Ed) Roos cedar chest 5078. It was a couple of inches long, flat, and without teeth. Is there anywhere I can look to replace it or, if I call a locksmith, would he or she be able to unlock it?

Hi Lynne
Nice to hear from you.
Yes for sure a locksmith will open your chest.
Also get him to make a second key to tape under the bottom in case this happens again.
It will be cheaper if you can take the chest to the shop instead of a house call.
Great question

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Eileen Cronk


I can answer most questions about the repairing and refinishing of all your old furniture items (the things we call antiques). I can also give you advice on what wood items to choose and what wood items to avoid at auctions, flea markets etc. I DO NOT give appraisals on antiques as this is not my field of expertise.


I have been repairing, refinishing and of course buying old furniture for the past 30 years. On any given weekend I can be found at auction sales or flea markets searching out a good buy. I have taken several courses in this area over the years, but I find "Hands On" learning to be the best teacher. I can help you avoid the pitfalls and problems of this wonderful rewarding craft.

©2017 All rights reserved.