Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Saginaw furniture hutch

I have this hutch I got from my grandma. It has a Saginaw Furniture Company sticker and is numbered 444.
I was hoping you could give me a ballpark of how much it may be worth and maybe some history about the company.
Appreciate any help you can give me,

Jackie - Your cabinet is called a "breakfront." If the top drawer opens to a slide out desk surface it is called a breakfront secretary. A hutch has open shelves above doors and/or drawers.

Your breakfront is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal period breakfront of the early 1800s. The drawer pulls are called "Hepplewhite" pulls. George Hepplewhite was an English designer whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. He is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name.

It is made of South American or Central American (probably Honduran) crotch cut mahogany veneer. Crotch cut veneer is cut from the intersection of a large branch with the trunk or the intersection of two large branches. That creates the "flame" or "feather" pattern seen in the veneer.

Saginaw Furniture Shops was formed in the 1920s by a Lithuanian immigrant named Ginsburg from Chicago. It manufactured high grade furniture until after World War II. Its most famous products are the expanding tables, desks and cabinets in their Extensol and Expand-O-Matic lines.

The glass in your cabinet is called "bubble" glass because of the convex curve.

Your breakfront would sell at auction in the $500 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida