Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Adams & Westlake brass beds

Question
Adams & Westlake beds
Adams & Westlake beds  
Adams & Westlake label
Adams & Westlake label  
QUESTION: We are seeking information about two brass twin beds likely dating from the early 1900s.  Both have the complete frame. We have two spring mattress supports but must admit that we do not know how they attach to the frame, also which one belongs with each bed.  Both mattress supports have a "W" on the edge.  One headboard is identified with Adams & Westlake, Chicago. The frame on the bed with the label connects like pieces in a jigsaw puzzle.  The other one connects with a hook molded into the frame.  The frames appear to be iron.  They are very heavy and in a "not restored" condition.  We are interested in possible value as we will be looking for a buyer.

ANSWER: use the followup function and post picture of the frame attachments or copy and post the post to an email with multiple of attached pictures showing the springs and rails
thanks

Info from my files:
The Adams & Westlake company was founded in 1857 in Chicago, Illinois. It was located at 110 Ontario Street, chicago. The company originally began manufacturing and selling railroad supplies and hardware. However, by 1897 they were a diversified world manufacturing leader. The company not only manufactured train supplies like the Adlake acetylene car lighting system, but also the popular Adlake & Alaska Bicycles, the Monarch oil stoves and a line of American brass beds.

QUESTION: Is this a rare find?  What might be the value of these beds?

Answer
i wouldnt say rare but to find old brass beds in good condition and complete is uncommon.  unfortunately the new bed market hurt the antique bed market back in the mid to late 1970s.  oddly enough one of the first started in Hanceville, AL. by a fellow that was a picker and dealer in antiques.

however, it is coming back, the thing that hurts now is the cost of having a bed professionally polished and lacquered.  when done professionally it is taken apart, polished and lacquered the reassembled.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein