Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique chair

PicsArt-1436... 1720859.jpg
PicsArt-1436... 172085  
I bought this chair 40 years ago. The seller said it was from  Yale Law School.I would like to know if you would give opinion on time period and possibly a guesstimate of value.
Thank you very much for your time.

Ann - Your chair is a Gothic Revival style armchair of the late 19th century. The Gothic period was the from the mid 12th century to the end of the 15th century in Europe. The style was revived in the early 1800s and continued to be produced throughout the century.

Your chair was factory made. The Yale provenance, if verified, has little value except to a Yale graduate. The chair would sell at auction in the $150-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida