Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cavalier Highboy Dresser

Recently purchased a Cavalier dresser.  It is walnut veneer. Marked on the back with 2237 Wal 5160.
There is a little damage to the veneer (bottom), bottom right leg (cracked), and wood details at the bottom. Is there any value in this piece?  I want to make sure I don't ruin the integrity if I don't repair professionally, or is this a piece with little value and I can repair?

you can repair yourself.  rather than replace with veneer, use a light colored wood filler.  practice first on something else then put it in, sand smooth then coat the filler with shellac and once dry paint in the grain to match using artists oil colors and once done recoat with shellac over the skirt.  spray can of shellac, artists brush, water based filler, 220 sand paper, block of wood.

using filler you putty it in, let dry then do it again, make sure it is pround of the surfaces around it.  once sry use a block of wood and your 220 paper to sand it lever with the surrounding area, absolutely level.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971