Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Chittenden & Eastman 3- mirrored Vanity with chair

Mirrored Vanity & Chair
Mirrored Vanity & Chai  
Chittenden & Eastman
Chittenden & Eastman  
I am considering refinishing my Chittenden & Eastman Antique Mirrored Vanity I inherited from my Great Grandmother. My father vanity piece for me when I was a young child. There are some minor cosmetic fixes I need to replace the middle mirror and one of the original wheels is missing.
Before I sand it and re-paint the chair and vanity I wanted to find out it's current value of this family antique.

1.)  What is the current value of this piece? I see a Chittenden & Eastman marking on the back of the piece.  
2.) If I was to re-finish or paint it would that be a bad idea?  Would painting it de-value the chair or mirrored vanity?
3.) What year was this made approximately?

ANSWER: use the followup function and post a picture of the vanity

QUESTION: Here is the vanity. I am replacing mirror in middle since it had a crack.

manufactured in the 20s.  i would take the wheels off and leave them off but keep them.

you do not sand old finishes off, you use paint remover.  a gentle sanding afterwards--more of a wiping with sandpaper.  aggressive sanding is not recommended.  most people over sand and change contours, color and generally make things look bad.

if rem=finished properly, no problem.  improperly not a good thing.

if you paint, which seems to be the thing these days then use a clear coat first so the next person can get the paint off if desired.

stripping with a good stripper, not a thick bodied stripper.  clean after stripping with lacquer thinner.  light sanding, stain then clear coat.  rub with 320 no fil paper between clear coats.  same after final coat but follow the 320 with #0000 steel wool and wax.  briwax is good.  so is johnsons floor paste wax.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971