Collectibles-General (Antiques)/James Town Table Company desk with hutch

Bottom of desk hutch
Bottom of desk hutch  

Top portion desk with hutch
Top portion desk with  
I have been looking for a China hutch for storing sets of China and I ran across this piece it has a James Town sticker on the back. I have not purchased it yet. As you can see it needs work on the bottom half of the piece. It is reasonably priced at $199 and I am wondering if in your opinion it is a piece that is worth the effort I am going to need to put in to be able to put it in my home. The top drawer is like a secretary desk and the front flips down, so it will not be good for storage, but is unique. The drawers are only 11" in depth front to back, the piece is 81" tall and 46" width. I would hope to just refinish the bottom as the top seems in great shape. If you have advice on this process please give it as well. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Virginia - That cabinet is called a breakfront secretary. It is made of mahogany veneer and has been very badly sun faded from its original color. If you remove a piece of hardware you will see the original color. There is a reason the price is $199 instead of $499.

As a professional I would have difficulty refinishing the bottom to match the top section and I suspect you will too.

My advice is to keep looking. Good luck.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida