Collectibles-General (Antiques)/John Stuart desk

Question
Desk John Stuart
Desk John Stuart  

Desk John Stuart Label
Desk John Stuart Label  
Hello Robert,

I recently bought this desk from a photo at an out of state auction. It was described as Milo Baughman style, by John Stuart Inc. I thought it would be a vintage piece because of the John Stuart label. It became clear once I received it that it is newly manufactured. I was trying to find out if the John Stuart Company still exists to get a better understanding of its value when I found your recent reply to a question stating that the John Stuart Company was in business from 1934-1956. What do you think about this label? Has John Stuart Inc. recently reformed? Thank you for any help you can give.

Answer
stuart lable
stuart lable  
The label shown me in the other post was from those dates.  Here is more and conflicting information from my files:

John Stuart was a high-end retail showroom in Grand Rapids and New York.  They put their own label on items made by several companies and sold them through their retail outlets.  John Stuart did not manufacture furniture!   

On Friday, April 13, 1956, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for JOHN STUART INC. NEW YORK GRAND RAPIDS by JOHN STUART INC., NEW YORK. The USPTO has given the JOHN STUART INC. NEW YORK GRAND RAPIDS trademark serial number of 72006380. The current federal status of this trademark filing is EXPIRED. The correspondent listed for JOHN STUART INC. NEW YORK GRAND RAPIDS is ? of *****, *****, ***** ***** . The JOHN STUART INC. NEW YORK GRAND RAPIDS trademark is filed in the category of Light Beverage Products . The description provided to the USPTO for JOHN STUART INC. NEW YORK GRAND RAPIDS is ARTICLES OF FURNITURE, THE PARTICULAR ARTICLES OF FURNITURE BEING BEDS, DRESSERS, MIRRORS, CHESTS OF DRAWERS, CHAIRS, TABLES, CONSOLES, BUFFETS, CABINETS, SECRETARIES, BOOK CASES, SOFAS, LOUNGES, DESKS, HASSOCKS, AND BED SPRINGS AND MATTRESSES.

attached find the lable referred to in the text

hope this helps.  if you bought claimed to be built by J Stuart, they were mistaken according to all i know, perhaps another j stuart was hired?  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein