Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old(?) chair

Question
Chair front
Chair front  

Chair side
Chair side  
Hi Robert,

We came across the chair that you can see in the photos. We started to sand, but then realized that we had never seen a chair in this style, and we wondered if it may be an antique.

Would you be able to tell us the time period in which it was built, and whether it would be more appropriate to get it professionally restored or to paint it for our toddler's playroom? If restoration is the answer, would you mind estimating a market value?

Thanks, and thank you for your time on this site--this is a great service being provided!

Jonathan

Answer
stop sanding!

chair from around 1900.  probably mahogany veneer with inlay stringing.
this chair should have sold untouched around 250$ then after a good cleaning and waxing retail at 450...

how heavy have you sanded, can you clean with mineral spirits then use antique mahogany colored Briwax to bring it back up.

whatever it looks like when you put mineral spirits on is what the wood will look like with a clear coat of shellac.  so if it looks even and nice then use the MS then wax.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein