Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old Uncle's Trunk?

Question
91 year old\'s cedar lined trunk
91 year old's cedar li  

Uncle Petey\'s trunk?
Uncle Petey's trunk?  
Trying to figure out what this is. Cannot find anything similar on EBay. Is it a steamer trunk,
A blanket trunk or what? Someone broke into it and damaged lock hasp.
Can you help telling what it is?

Answer
Hello Bob,
The reason that you are having a hard time finding information about your trunk or chest is because it appears to be one that was "homemade" or handmade and not one made by a trunk company.  I can tell that because of the style and hardware and the fact that it is all wood and not covered with another material.  Traveling trunks (steamer trunks, which were really only the short flat styles of trunks)were always covered with either canvas, leather, metal, etc.  While this looks somewhat like a trunk, and it may have been made to be used like a trunk, it wasn't made by a trunk company, so it's much harder to tell how old it really or more about it.  Sorry that someone broke the lock, but that can be repaired or replaced with another old trunk lock.  I wish I could help you more but there are no distinctive parts or hardware to help identify this.  

Marvin Miller
ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller