Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Questions regarding old butler's table

Question
Butlers table 2
Butlers table 2  
Butlers table 1
Butlers table 1  
QUESTION: I have a butler's table that I believe to quite old but am unsure of its age. I purchased it about 3 years ago from a school teacher who did a lot of traveling in Europe and he said it was bought in the UK. I paid only $100 for it and only replaced the webbing on the stand. As you can see, it's in very good shape. Can you tell if there are any repairs? I would be happy to send more detailed photos if you need them. Could you help me with any details about its age, origin, market value, etc? Can you also tell from the photos if the stand would be original to the table? Thank you so much!

ANSWER: it is oak, most of the newer ones in the USA are cherry and have a coffee table type base.

from the photos it appears there are some added tacks holding the panel veneers down but cant really see it well.  if that is the case it doesn't matter.

still a good piece but i need you to use the followup function and picture the underside for me.

thanks

as to where made, without a label that info is not available.  just cuz it was bought in the UK doesnt mean it was made there.  lots of import and export done.

standing by for picture of underneath.

thanks

Butler table 3
Butler table 3  
Butler table 4
Butler table 4  
QUESTION: Follow up photo of underside of table as requested. I attached a photo showing the whole bottom, and also one panel with some numbers/letters on it. There is also what appears to be a name or something in another panel but I can only attach two photos. If you would like to see that panel, please allow For another follow up. BTW I did have to glue some of the wood pieces back in place when I bought the table. Is the stand original to the table top? Thanks again for all your help.

ANSWER: good news, the panels are no veneered but are of solid and thicker wood which had been beveled to fit within the frame.  Much better!

it does appear that at one time the base was attached to something.  you see the four areas where there is discoloration around the frame and some holes?  is there any indication on the stand where some type of metal or wood attachment might have been??

Butler table 5
Butler table 5  

Butler table 6
Butler table 6  
QUESTION: There does appear to be some small nail holes on the frame that seem to correspond to the holes and areas of discoloration that you so keenly pointed out. I'll send a couple more pics, one of a possible signature or something written in cursive pencil and another of one of these holes in the frame.  Then let me know what your professional opinion is of whether you believe the frame is original to the table, when and possibly where it was made, and what I it's value might be. I understand that this is just a remote evaluation and that it's very difficult to assess something from photos alone. Thank you!

Answer
It makes sense that the base and top were together, the wear looks the same, wood is same and it is appropriate and I have seen two in the past like yours.

as to where it was made, no one can say without a label.  there were over 5000 factories in operation in the USA at the time it was made around 1890-1900.  most are in cherry and mahogany.  not often in oak.

as to selling, i would price in a shop at 650.   

the writing on it is most likely the signature or mark of whoever did the parts or assembly.

http://www.boonesantiques.com/wp-content/gallery/miscellaneous/oak-folding-butle

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein