Collectibles-General (Antiques)/10 PC Dining Set

Question
Credenza and Hutch
Credenza and Hutch  

Sideboard
Sideboard  
My questions are in regards to a total of 10 pieces. I have researched for hours and have personally come to the conclusion that these are TWO DIFFERENT sets of pieces: Jacobean Revival (Table, 5 dining chairs and 1 Captain's chair) AND Spanish Revival (hutch/china cabinet, sideboard/buffet, credenza). I read that Jacobean, Tudor, Gothic and Elizabethian are more accurately referred to as Colonial Revival. Is that correct?

My questions to you, am I naming the pieces of furniture accurately (ie. Hutch/china cabinet, sideboard/buffet, credenza)? Are you able to determine if these are two different sets of pieces? Identify the type of wood, style, age, region of origin, period, maker, historical coatings, materials, techniques, if they have been restored or refinished? Are these pieces from their original period or were they reproduced? Lastly, what is there current market values as sets AND individual pieces? If necessary I can send you additional images upon your request. I took several pictures of these pieces.

PS: I emailed you as well with additional images to help you answer the above questions.

Thank you so much for your time, help and consideration.

Answer
answered by email in detail concerning style and period names
hopefully email went through, been having some troubles so let me know if it went to another galaxy.
colonial revival relates to anything that could have been deemed to be made in our colonial period.  

summary;
one set in jacobean style
draw leaf table
sideboard
blind china
server chairs

oak wood
1910-20s

EMAIL:
Jacobean style dining suit.  One suite, not two.

These were not uncommon in the 1910-20s.  Yours is made of oak which is a preferred wood, as walnut is as well.

Colonial revival is a term attached to any style that replicates, even slightly, that which would have been used in colonial times.  it has become a generic term but I too use it to describe that which is a combination of several styles.  Many pieces do not fit neatly into a common category.

I would caution you on trying to pinpoint styles of furniture too tightly as it can make you go bonkers.  you will find that most all furniture, even that from the 1700s, if dissected will have design elements of that which preceded it.

I am going to make more comments in the body of your email so I wont miss anything.

thanks

V/r,
Robert Klein
Roberts Antiques and Restorations
2500 North T St.
Pensacola, Fl  32505
8504323203

www.robertsantiques.rubylane.com

From: Forest Collectibles [mailto:2015collectibles@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2015 3:28 AM
To: robertsantiques@cox.net
Subject: 10 PC Dining Set

Mr. Klein,

My questions are in regards to a total of 10 pieces. I have researched for hours and have personally come to the conclusion that these are TWO DIFFERENT sets of pieces: Jacobean Revival (Table, 5 dining chairs and 1 Captain's chair) AND Spanish Revival (hutch/china cabinet, sideboard/buffet, credenza).
[bk]
one set, all legs and carvings match.  table, sideboard, chairs, server, china (blind china)
I read that Jacobean, Tudor, Gothic and Elizabethian are more accurately referred to as Colonial Revival. Is that correct?
[bk]
not really.  it is more of a catch category of items loosely styled like what one would imagine made and/or used in colonial times.
There are as many categories as anyone pontificating can come up with.  All overlap. general cats in the USA and Europe are as follows.  keep in mind that some sub cats are omitted.
Jacobean 1603-1649
Cromwellian 1649-1660
Carolean 1660-1688
william and mary 1688-1702
queen anne (and earlier georgian) 1702-1750, (George I 1714-1727m George II 1727-1760)
louis 14 and 15 1643-1715, 1715-1774
Chippendale 1705-1779
Adams Brothers 1762-1792
Hepplewhite is a style which gained prominence and popularity within the time several prominent cabinet makers were in vogue. there are no known examples of anything he built but his influence on design is vigorous 17?-1786
Sheraton 1750-1806 same vigorous influence as Hepplewhite
Empire 1793-1830 (which I place at 1850)
This is all from the book, with some of my own comments, “The practical Book of Period Furniture” printed 1914 eleventh printing.

The date printed would account for the omission of later periods, most notably
Victorian from 1845-1900, (early mid and late)

although the dates seem precise it my belief that is due to the desire for preciseness, factualness, and completeness on the part of the author which in the past was important much more than in today’s literary field.

My questions to you, am I naming the pieces of furniture accurately (ie. Hutch/china cabinet, sideboard/buffet, credenza)? Are you able to determine if these are two different sets of pieces?
[bk]
one set, table, chairs, blind china, sideboard, server
Identify the type of wood, style, age, region of origin, period, maker, historical coatings, materials, techniques, if they have been restored or refinished?
[bk] oak, Jacobean style, 1910-20s, original finish-lacquer was used at the time, manufactured.  as to where or who.  Without a lable there is no way anyone can tell you that without a label with over 5000 manufacturers in operation at the time.

Are these pieces from their original period or were they reproduced?
[bk]
not period jacobaean pieces but are original to the period in which they were manufactured

Lastly, what is there current market values as sets AND individual pieces?
[bk]
market value is elusive and must be given as a range.  many factors determine mv.  condition, location, and point of sale. are of importance.
insurance replacement 2.5X.
chairs
65-125 each
blind china
650-750
sideboard
650-750
server
450-500
table
850-900

If necessary I can send you additional images upon your request. I took several pictures of these pieces.

PS: I believe my question posted publicly, but I needed to send you more photos to help with your search, so I sent you this email. The instructions stated "if you email pictures, include the entire post and send pictures in ONE email as attachments only". Therefore, I just copied and pasted my original email. Not sure if I interpreted the instructions wrong.
[bk]
perfect!!  Thanks!

bob klein

hope this has been helpful

manufactured in USA by one of 5000 manufacturers
original finish in lacquer using shading technique of the time--that is the darkened areas, it is in the finish--early distressing technique

thanks

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein