Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Help identifying couch and chairs

Question
Old couch
Old couch  

Old chair
Old chair  
While cleaning out a relative's basement I found a couch and chair hanging from rafters. They have suffered the effects of a moist environment for years and look to need a complete renovation to my untrained eyes. My questions are, what style/era are these and are they worth taking down and selling? I have no knowledge/skills with upholstery. What is a realistic price to sell them for as is?
I have the same questions for about the wooden chair on the driveway. It's in much better shape. I have searched the web for pictures that match these items with no luck. And furniture is beyond my areas of expertise. Thank you for any light you can throw in this dark basement.

Answer
John - The loveseat and chair are the remains of a three or five piece parlor set from around the turn of the 20th century. Similar sets are illustrated in the 1902 Sears catalog. Your are missing the platform rocker that would be part of the set. Here's what the entire set would look like.
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/19712310_eastlake-style-4-pc-parlor-set  

The set is made of birch with a mahogany finish. That is called  “simulated mahogany” and was correctly explained in the 1902 Sears catalog as being both stronger and less expensive than genuine mahogany.

Restoration costs will be many hundreds of dollars and final market value will be around $100 for the two pieces. Best bet is to donate them to Goodwill.

Did not see the wooden chair in the driveway. If you can send me some clear digital photos of the chair as well as any labels I will be happy to tell you what I can. You can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at info@furnituredetective.com. Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not be able to respond.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
“HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE”
www.furnituredetective.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor