Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Info about old wooden trunk/chest

Question
Trunk 1
Trunk 1  

Trunk 2
Trunk 2  
I just bought a great wooden trunk/chest an would like some information about it if you can help. The individual I bought it from was a dealer and ad no history what so ever. I've never seen anything quite like it. Could it be an old tool or work chest for this Franklin person? The image on the inside of the lid is a raised cut out veneer of an indian on a horse. If you know, I would appreciate an age, purpose, and possible value. Thank you very much.

Answer
Randy,

I would call this a chest rather than a trunk because trunks were generally used for travel purposes and I doubt that this was a travel trunk.  It is made in the style of an early tool or carpenter's chest. Usually these were handmade by the owner and he probably carved his name in the front. Many of these also had some compartments or holders inside for smaller tools, saws, etc. but not all of them.  I don't see something like that in the picture.  It's harder to tell the age on handmade items and without close inspection of the hardware, but it is very likely from sometime between the 1890's to 1930's. These were made in this style for many years. An experienced antique appraiser could inspect the chest and possibly narrow down the age based on the construction and hardware. Providing a value is also more difficult than on a travel trunk, and it can depend some on the size and usefulness as something like a blanket chest or coffee table. Condition is also important. I do see similar chests now and then in shops and the prices can vary quite a bit depending on location and the details of each chest. But typically I see retail prices on these in the range of about $300 to $600 but sometimes higher.  I hope that helps.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller