Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Kind, age, value of chair

Question
Front view
Front view  

Top front
Top front  
My mother bought this chair, then in very sorry shape, at an estate auction about 25 years ago.  I had the wood cleaned and the chair reupholstered in a fabric similar to the tattered piece that was on it.  It is an exceptionally comfortable chair, especially for someone with long legs.  Could you please identify its style, possible place/time of origin and resale value?

(If I could have sent a 3 rd photo, it would show the back is also upholstered.)

Answer
1910-1920s manufactured chair in the French empire style made in the USA.  A good one, highly styled and in superb condition.  wood is most likely birch and figured birch as was customary, then stained to a mahogany color.  Was probably darker before refinishing.  Inlay is multiple woods, usually king wood, tulip poplar, boxwood, with abalone or mother of pearl dots although sometimes the dots are a synthetic.  synthetic has no chatoyancy so look carefully and closely.  

without a label telling the manufacturer we have no way of determining which company made this out of the 5000 in operation at the time.

If it is sturdy an the wood is smooth it should price in a retail setting at 600-850.  pricing varies depending on the type of store and location.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein