Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Knechtel furniture's age?

Question
Knechtel hutch/secretaire
Knechtel hutch/secreta  

Knechtel stamp
Knechtel stamp  
Hello,
More often than not in Quebec, the use of the expression "American" encompasses Canadian as well. So, I hope I am not disturbing you by asking you to help me put a date on this piece of furniture I inherited from a friend's dead aunt. It's a mixture between a hutch and a "secretaire". It says : Knechtels Ltd inside which I suppose means it dates post 1930 when the company changed names but I don't know anything else.
Can you help me?
Thanking you in advance for your time,
Séverine.

Answer
Sev - Your cabinet is called a breakfront secretary. Your photo is very dark but it appears to be made of mahogany veneer. It is a Colonial Revival reproduction of an American Federal period cabinet of the early 1800s. The drawer pills are called Hepplewhite pulls, named after George Hepplewhite. He was an English designer whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. He is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name.

Hard to date exactly from the photo but most likely made in the mid 1950s to mid 1960s.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor