Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Macey Co. Barrister Bookcase

Macey Furniture Co. Barrister Bookcase
Macey Furniture Co. Ba  

Macey Furniture Co. Logo
Macey Furniture Co. Lo  
I have a Macey Furniture Co. barrister bookcase that has been in my family since the early 60's. It is in bad need of restoration as one of my relatives put it out in his garage for about 5 years. The back in ruined, delaminated and broken. I just got it back a few days ago.

Two questions: What stain could have been used on this beautiful 1/4 sawn oak? It is dark like walnut. How do I re-create the gold Macey logo?

the first thing to do is use dark brown Briwax and wax all the wood.  then send pictures, in focus, so i can see what we have at that point.

stains were different then but if i were to match that stain I would use mohawk penetrating oil stain brown mahogany.  cut 50/50 with mineral spirits.  it would be the perfect match!!

you could take a picture and make a decal on the computer to put on the replacement backs.  You couldnt save the front wood of the old backs with the label???

Or, the easy thing is to go here.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971