Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Old family trunk

Question
Old family trunk, black
Old family trunk, blac  
I have this old trunk that has been in the family for an estimated hundred years. I was wondering if anything information about it could surface from a picture of it? I do not know where it was made as my family is from Finland but have also been around the world a bit and I think this was a trunk used in a trip to or from America.

Answer
1920 trunks
1920 trunks  

trunks
trunks  
Freddie,

Your trunk was almost certainly made in the United States and sometime between about 1920 to 1940. It is a type made by many American trunk makers during that time period with the same hardware and vulcanized fiber covering.  The covering is a special heat treated, pressed fiber material which was used on most trunks after about 1925 and it held up better than leather and was more waterproof. It was made in a variety of colors also. The locks on these sometimes have a name of the lock maker and a key code. There are often no labels or other markings on these trunks. Many were exported to Europe and brought back by immigrants. These were general purpose travel and packing trunks used by men and women. The interior always had a lift out tray and they were lined with printed paper or sometime fabric. I'm attaching a couple old catalog pages of similar trunks, but each company made them just slightly different than the others.  I hope that helps.

Marvin Miller  ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller