Collectibles-General (Antiques)/old red Throttle Jockeys trunk

Question
red trunk
red trunk  
this old trunk has not been restored. about how much is it worth, should it be restored, how much? it stinks inside.

Answer
Tom,

The trunk is a common style from the 1890s to about 1920 time period and they were made by many American trunk makers. Obviously someone who belonged to the car club or organization customized this by painting and adding the lettering. In that condition it may appeal to someone who wanted it for it's nostalgic appeal or connection to that group or organization. But except for that the value of the trunk itself as an antique travel trunk is lowered considerably by the painting. The cost and time involved to "restore" or refinish the trunk would not be worth it in my opinion because there are too many similar trunks in good original condition available for a reasonably low price and I see them fairly often. Removing odors from the trunks can be difficult but usually involves cleaning out any old lining in the trunk, washing it out and then sealing it with a good wood sealer or varnish. I would say the value of the trunk in its current condition is only about $40 to $50, except to someone who wants it the way it is and had a connection to the Throttle Jockeys.  I hope that helps.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller