Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Pa Dutch blanket chest

Question
Blanket Chest
Blanket Chest  
Artwork...one panel
Artwork...one panel  
QUESTION: Recently purchased this.  I have been researching a bit.  This chest is rather rough.  Artwork is similar to some...but all that I have seen have black unicorns.  The only thing I know is that the sellers mom purchased it in an antique store in PA.

ANSWER: Karen,

It looks like a very interesting old chest, however it is very difficult to evaluate an item such as this from pictures, because it sometimes takes a close inspection to tell if the painted decorations are original and/or touched up as well as the style of any hardware, hinges, etc.. It does look like a very old chest with pegged construction, however to me I'm not so sure the decorations are original.  The wear on them doesn't appear to be quite consistent with the chest condition and I may be wrong about this but I don't recall seeing the silver color used on early chests.  But while I've seen a number of similar PA Dutch chests over the years I can't really call myself an expert on those as I specialize more in the travel trunks, their hardware and history.  I think you would need a very knowledgeable antiques dealer or appraiser to inspect this to tell the age and value.

Best wishes,
Marvin  ThisOldTrunk.com

Inside
Inside  

Signature
Signature  
QUESTION: Is there someone you would recommend in the central NJ/Phila area?

Answer
Karen,
While I don't know anyone specific in that area personally, for an item such as that I would recommend an expert appraiser such as TimeTravelerAntiques.com in Princeton, NJ. You can find detailed information about them online. But you may be able to find someone else by calling some reputable antique dealers in your area. Good luck.
Marvin

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller