Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Pair of Great Ledge Charis

Question
Chair 2
Chair 2  

Chair
Chair  
Can you tell me the approx. date this chair may have been manufactured.   There is a label on the bottom of the chair that does say "Great Ledge Chair Company" but no model number.  The bottom of the chair looks like weaved burlap and the cushion is needlepoint.  I tried to look at the stuffing inside the chair and it look like a pile of hair.  The chairs are in fairly good shape just a couple of scratches.  Would you recommend them being restored and cleaned?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Answer
Lori - Are you sure that label says "Great Ledge" and not "Grand Ledge"? I am not familiar with Great Ledge Chair Co. Grand Ledge Chair Co worked in Grand Rapids from 1883 to 1981 making primarily chairs.

Your chair is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal style lyre back chair of the early 1800s. It was probably made in the late 1940s to mid 1950s and the seat is stuffed with horsehair.

You can remove the seat by taking out the four screws in the corners. If you feel you have to clean the needlepoint remove it from the frame and gently wash by hand in cool water and Woolite. The stretch it out on a hard piece of plywood and staple it so it doesn't shrink as it dries.  

The chair can be cleaned with mineral spirits (won't hurt the existing finish). When dry overnight apply a thin layer of mahogany tinted paste wax such as Howard's or Fiddes.

Apply fresh wax once a year. Dry dust between. Don't use any product that contains silicone or oil.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor