Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Pulver gum machine

Hi, Tom.  I recently bought a Pulver red porcelain gum machine with the Yellow Kid.  The mechanism basically works, but it has a couple of adjustment issues.  First, when you insert a penny, the little door at the bottom of the gum rack opens, and the U-shaped arm underneath moves forward.  However the arm does not seem to move far enough to push the gum out. (Since I don't have any of the actual Pulver gum tabs, I just cut some regular stick gum in half to test it.)  Second, I assume you should be able to insert a penny in either of the two coin slots. But only the open slot allows a penny to be inserted. Both slots work if I manually turn the metal strip to one side or the other.  Should pushing a penny in the closed slot move the strip to the other side?

Hi Daryl,
Today's stick gum cut in half is too thin to be properly dispensed from a Pulver machine. The proper thickness is if the stick was folded in half (both sides).
 I actually sell repro gum for the Pulver machines. I have 13 different varieties for the short case Pulver machine. The wrappers are all copies of my originals. We sell the gum for 50 cents per piece for orders of 1-99 pieces and 40 cents per piece for orders of 100 or more.
 If you have not already, I would put a few drops of oil on most of the movable parts. I use the same lubricant that is appropriate for clocks/clockworks. I buy it in a pen like device that has a needle nose. I sell that also (6.00). Do not use WD 40.
 Both coin slots should work. It may take a little bit of force for the first time on that other side. Be sure to use old copper pennies (any dated 1981 or before will work although I usually use the wheat pennies from 1958 or before which would have been used in the machine originally).
 You can email me direct at  if you have additional questions.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Tom Novitski

I am able to answer questions on old coin operated machines. These include vending machines such as gumball or peanut or other machines such as trade stimulators that did not dispense a product but were positioned on a store's counter to bring in customers or stimulate trade. I specialize in machines by Pulver, Zeno, and Mansfield and also any old cast iron or wood machines.

I have been collecting these type of machines for about 10 years and have traveled the country to antique shows and auctions.

Coin operated collectors association

I have learned about many of these machines from traveling to view the collections of others.