Collectibles-General (Antiques)/S. Bent & Bros Rocker

I just picked up this S. Bent & Bros rocker at a yard sale today for $30. I do not believe it is that old, but I was wondering if you know around when it was manufactured, the type of wood, and what it might retail for if cleaned up a bit.

ANSWER: at first glance i thought this was oak but it is ash.  note absence of lines between the bold grain patterns.

likely from the 1950-60s.  wax it up and you should get 100-150.

a little info from my files.
Gardner’s fourth oldest manufacturing company and an offshoot of Heywood-Wakefield Company.
Founded: 1867 by Samuel, Charles O. and Roderic L. Bent
Location: Mill Street in South Gardner
Products: First made five-spindle factory chairs for Heywood-Wakefield, and later made Colonial chairs and rockers. About 1870 they began making children’s chairs, rockers and stools. From the 1920s-1950s they made breakfast sets and institutional furniture. One specialty, by the 1960s, was the college and university chair. Bent Brothers, along with Nichols and Stone, were national leaders in this area.
Company closed: 2001

QUESTION: Thanks so much! I found a note taped to the bottom of the chair that was a bit misleading- I think it says the item was purchased new in 1999, but maybe it says 1949?

or 79. thing is these patterns were used for decades so i could be wrong but on the note it also says amish rocker but it is a manufactured rocker in the golden oak turn of the 20th century style.

are the screws holding the hip rests slot head or Phillips and are there any screws or nails under the stretchers where they fit into the legs??

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971