Collectibles-General (Antiques)/What can you tell me about this trunk?

Question
Front view
Front view  

Side view
Side view  
This trunk came from my great grandfather's. My grandmother was seeking info about it. There is no date,name, or anything on it to indicate it's age. Was wondering if you could tell how old it is and if it's of any value?

Answer
1904 trunk catalog
1904 trunk catalog  
Sarah,
Your trunk is a style that was very popular from about 1890 to the 1910's and most trunk companies in the US made a few models of these. Some called them Monitor top trunks and some just described them as "rounded edge trunks". They were made in a variety of sizes and the more expensive ones had leather covering and others had canvas or metal covering. They used the same or similar hardware and locks on them and they always had one or more lift out trays inside. Since these were very popular there were many made and there are still quite a few of these metal covered trunks around, which keeps the price lower than many others. While it is an antique and can be restored, repainted, and refinished, the value in that condition isn't too high. I see this style for sale often in the range of about $75 to $150 and some can be found for less at auctions or flea markets in some areas. The wood slats are hardwood, usually elm, and the metal covering was usually enamel painted when new. Most likely this trunk was made from about 1905 to 1920 and some were made a few years later.  I've attached a catalog page from 1904 with a similar trunk so you can see some of the details they gave.  I hope that helps.
Marvin Miller  ThisOldTrunk

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller