Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Trunk

We just bought this trunk at auction and would love more information about it.

Many thanks

1900 trunk catalog
1900 trunk catalog  

1911 trunk catalog
1911 trunk catalog  
Your trunk is a style that was very popular from the 1890's through the 1920's and made by many American trunk makers during those years. It appears to be canvas covered with leather tie-down straps, a flat top with hardwood slats. These were often called "dress trunks" by the makers but they were used by men and women for travel. There were several lock makers that made trunk locks and sometimes the lock maker's name and a key code is stamped on the front of the lock. The trunks are usually made of pine or basswood, with elm or ash outer slats. The hardware was often brass plated on these, which started around 1896 and continued for many years afterwards. The brass plating is often worn off but you may see traces of it. Many people like to remove the canvas to refinish the wood, but some people do prefer to use the trunks as they are. The trunk style is not rare but is a type many people like because they can be used as a coffee table or other table type use as well as for storage.  I'm attaching a couple old catalog pages with similar trunks from 1900 and 1911. These were made in many sizes and models, some with leather straps and some without. I hope that helps.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.