Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Value of Three stack of Globe Wernicke barrister bookcases?

I have the opportunity to purchase a set of globe wernicke stacking barrister bookcases. The glass in all three sections is in good condition, as is the hardware. The top two are size C 8.5, however all of the literature I have found says they only made C9 and up? This has me puzzled.
The bottom shelf is a C11. All three are grade 299 (quarter sawn oak with a glossy finish).
It comes with a top and bottom. I am wondering what the value would be? And whether you know anything about the C8.5 size?

Pamela - C units were made in 9 and up in the US but your cabinet is Canadian made and Canadian and English units may have been different. Obviously they did them make them since you have two of them. I know they made D units in 8.5. here is one.

Globe units with original glass and intact hardware sell at auction in the $75-$150 per section with crown and base. Your set would sell in the $225-$450 range depending on the local market and unit condition.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida