Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Wisconsin Chair Company

Rocker 1
Rocker 1  

Rocker 2
Rocker 2  
I picked up a Wisconsin chair company chair today at a shop for 25 bucks. I have looked online to see if i can find any information on it, and not having too much luck. I am thinking about restoring this, but want to know if it would be ok to do it or not. When i got it, it had a red cloth on top of it, and i peeked under that and seen it had the original leather that came with it from what i believe. Any information would be great

Kevin - Here is some good history on the company.

Your chair was made early in the 20th century. It was made of birch with a mahogany finish. That is called  “simulated mahogany” and was correctly explained in the 1902 Sears catalog as being both stronger and less expensive than genuine mahogany. It is unlikley that is the original leather. After over 100 years it probably would have cracked and faded worse than it appears to be.

The chair is factory made and mass produced so it has no collector value so no value will be lost in a quality restoration. You probably will need to get the springs retied by a good upholsterer.

Good luck. Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida