Collectibles-General (Antiques)/1920's Cornu Ontoscope stereo camera

Question
Pic 1
Pic 1  

Pic 2
Pic 2  
David
Thanks for the swift response.  I have taken a couple of pictures which I will try to attach
Pete

Answer
Hello,

Yes, it's a stereo camera, for making 3D pictures. This is an Ontoscope, a very typical European style stereo camera, made by Cornu of France in the 1920's, for 45 x 107 mm exposures on glass plates. There are several different versions, and you have the most basic model for amateur photographers. The "Manoscope" name was used by certain exporters. The Ontoscope is a fairly generic design, it looks and operates like MANY other 1920's-1930's stereo cameras from dozens of other European camera makers, and they remain quite common. In truly excellent complete and clean and functioning condition, these sell month to month on eBay in the $175-$250 range. Your example looks clean and complete enough, and I'd hazard to guess it still works (they're built to last), so I'd guesstimate a fair market value right in the middle, about $200-$225.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

David Silver