Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Chittenden & Eastman round oak table with wood casters

maker\'s tag
maker's tag  
Dear Fred,
         I bought this table and was delighted to find out the co. was in burlington IA. My grandma grew up there. The top has a split where the oak was seamed so it has to be repaired. I think it is great...regardless ;) .My questions are, what year was it made and what is the proper material/medium I should use when I reseal the tabletop? It has a partial maker's tag on the pedestal with the number 648 and written as 648-8 underneath the tabletop. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.  :)
Sincerely and with kind thoughts,

Shanel - Chittenden & Eastman was primarily a maker of mattresses. Here is the company history.

The company missed the height of the Golden Oak period around the turn of the 20th century when most round oak pedestal tables were made, concentrating on the mattress trade. They made other furniture almost coincidentally it appears from the history.

Your table was made in the early 20th century, 1910-1925. The base appears to be made of red oak but I can't say about the top since it isn't shown. I also cannot comment on the correct sealer to use because I do not know the current condition of the top. Does it has an old finish? Is the old finish original? has the top been stripped?

If you can provide the answers to these questions and also provide some photos of the top I will be happy to help you. You can send clear photos to me as .jpg files at Please send the photos directly to me as .jpg files. DO NOT put them in an online photo album. Be sure to include a copy of your original inquiry so I can match them up or I will not be able to respond.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida