Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Empire Furniture China Cabinet

Question
China Cabinet
China Cabinet  

Label
Label  
Hi, I have a china cabinet from Empire Furniture Co. out of Huntington WV. This was my mother in laws cabinet and she has since passed. I know its very old. Its in pretty good shape. The lock on the inside of door is broke and we do not have the key. 3 sides are glass and there are 3 shelves that fit inside.If you could give me any insight about this particular piece and what it might be worth, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks so much! The dimensions are 41.5" wide, 63 3/8" tall.

Answer
Tammy - The cabinet is from the Depression era of the 1930s. The style is William and Mary, indicated by the trumpet turnings on the legs. It is made of quartersawn white oak. Quarter sawing is a method of cutting an oak log that produces the distinctive grain pattern seen in the wood. Quarter sawing is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE.”

The lock is the easy part. Email me separately at info@furnituredetective.com for details.

The cabinet would sell at auction today's market in the $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor