Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Grand rapids desk

Desk top
Desk top  
Desk legs
Desk legs  
QUESTION: Hi...I have an old school desk marked "school furniture Co, Grand Rapids, Patd Apd for, NO 1" on the cast iron legs.  Wooden desk top has lots of marks from years of use.  Cast legs are adjustable with a geared rod in the center to raise and lower the top.  
I would appreciate any other info you can give me, please confirm if I am correct that it was made about 1890...and if you have an estimated value, that would be great!  I have not been able to find any like this after much research.  Thanks in advance!!

ANSWER: this is a good one, nice iron work, and we know it was between 1886-1906 since that is when the company was in operation.

not sure what else you wanted to know.  The history of school desks is interesting as few companies bought up many companies some are still operating now.

do you have the chair

QUESTION: Thanks so much for your time!  I do not have the chair.  I wondered if you knew anything about the patent nfor this....were they ever put into production?  Where they made for very long?  I can't find any others like this..... Could it be a prototype?  Thanks again!!

not a prototype.  there are so many patents on everything.  searching the patent office online can be time consuming but you should do so.  There should be more numbers.  unfortunately i cannot devote the time to doing that in this forum.  they wont let me.

can you do a picture to my email of the numbers. nice and clear ones.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971