Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Lyre Chairs and antique? dresser

Dresser & Chairs
Dresser & Chairs  

Hi Robert,

I found all 3 of these items yesterday. I think the chairs are Lyre? mahogany or painted tiger oak? (cane seats) - but don't know period, date made.

The dresser? Cherry Wood?- don't know period, date made. Drawers have handmade dovetails.

Thanks, in advance, for any information you can share.

i will need a clear close infocus picture of the wood grain to determine the wood species.  

use the followup function to post the new pictures

the dresser is 1920s, most likely a mix of walnut and mahogany veneers.  frame and legs probably birch or/and tulip poplar.

dining chairs could be birch or sweet gum either is likely but could be another wood or mix of wood.  originally they were stained from the factory to have teh mahogany color.  1900-1920s.

awaiting more pictures

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971