Collectibles-General (Antiques)/thimble collection

QUESTION: Barbara,

I have recently inherited a collection of 200 + thimbles and I have no idea where to start with them. Some have dates of 1910 and earlier, they are made of sterling, sterling and gold, 10k and 14k gold, porcelain, and steel. They came to me loose in a container and I am not sure how to preserve these thimbles. I can send pictures if needed. I just need help and online info is very vague.

ANSWER: Hi David - I'm not sure exactly what information you are looking for.  If you can be more specific, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.  Barbara

Not sure what this is
Not sure what this is  

Not sure
Not sure  
QUESTION: Thanks for the response. I guess I'm looking for info on how to care for these thimbles, should they be individually packaged or what is the appropriate way to store? I looked at some of your previous answers to questions and plan on ordering a guide on Amazon to help me identify properly. Also I am attaching some pictures of other items that are included and am not sure what these are called

Hi Dan - The two pictures you sent look to be a silver sewing kit (anything inside?) or a thread barrel.  It's a bit too big to be a needle holder.  

If you plan to store your thimbles, I would clean them with a soft cloth and a mild dish soap.  Make sure they are totally dry and then wrap them in kleenex or paper toweling.  If you plan to display them, keep them out of direct sunlight and in a covered display case.  If your thimbles are tarnished, do NOT use any dipping product like removes a layer of silver each time it is used and that is not good.  Many collectors prefer the patina of age, so not cleaning them at all is also acceptable.  If you'd like to send pictures of your thimbles, I'd be happy to try and tell you more about them.  

You might also want to check out Thimble Collectors International (TCI) web site.  They offer a price guide to members as well as a quarterly newsletter that is very informative.  You will also find a listing of may have one in your area with members who could help you learn more about your collection.  

If you plan to keep the collection, you may want to consider attending the TCI convention in Niagara Falls next September.  It's three days chock full of seminars, an auction, a sales mall and the chance to meet fellow collectors.  

Any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me:

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Barbara K. Acchino

I have been collecting for almost 30 years.

Organizations; Thimble Collectors International (TCI); Thimble Guild; Thimbletter & Thimbletter II, Empire State Thimble Collectors; CyberThimble; Yahoo Thimble Club

"Sewing with Scotties" Scottie Sampler; various articles for the "Bulletin" - official newsletter of Thimble Collectors International (TCI)

TCI's President's Award