Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique cedar chest

Question
Cedar chest
Cedar chest  
Hi Fred,
I'm trying to see if there is any possible way for you to give me the answer to the age of my cedar chest that I just purchased for $60. The woman I bought it from traded her surfboard for it several years ago and the guy she traded with stated it was from the 1930s. One the bottom it is stamped 3739-40 W. Tray Factory no. 769.  It also has copper hinges on the inside. Thanks for any input you can give me.

Karen

Answer
Karen - Your cedar chest is Art Deco style with a "waterfall" front. Waterfall refers to the shape of the front edge of the piece. The veneer on the top runs from back to front instead of side to side as it does in most styles. As it goes over the rounded edge this gives the effect of “going over a waterfall.”

Waterfall was an important part of the style known as Art Moderne in the 1930s and 1940s. The style today is called Art Deco, a term coined in the 1960s.

Your chest is from the mid 1930s and as such is not regarded as "antique."

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor