Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique French Armoire

Question
Medallion
Medallion  
Front view
Front view  
QUESTION: We have purchased an armoire at an auction and I would like to validate the research that I have done. It appears to be French and from the 1880s.  The armoire is 18" in depth, about 53" wide an about 100" tall.  It has adjustable shelves and a single drawer. I would also like to know an approximate value of this piece.
Thanks,
Erik

ANSWER: Erik,

Yes this is a French Amoire, I would need to see photos of the back to confirm that this was not made circa 1900 or later, any other photos that you think would help I would be glad to look at.  

Either way, the value of this Armoire would not be much different because of 20 or 30 years age difference.  

You can find this exact type of Armoire in the Paris flea market for around 600 Euros to 800 Euros. In the US this would sell for under $2000. dollars, except if you are in NY or LA then the same piece would sell for $3000 to $4000 US dollars

Hinge, inside
Hinge, inside  
Drawer side
Drawer side  
QUESTION: Michael,
Thanks you so much for the response.  I really appreciate your time and expertise.  This website only lets me send two pictures at a time, so I am sending you some additional pictures that may give you some more clues as to the age of this piece.  I am including pictures of the hardware, and the drawer.  I took about 15 pictures, but it is hard to determine which two are most relevant.  If you need a better picture of a specific joint or something, let me know and I will try and get it.  

Thanks,
Erik

ANSWER: After seeing these photos I believe that this was made circa 1960's. Continue to send photos two by two until I can confirm the date of manufacture.

Lock mechanism
Lock mechanism  

Top Fastener
Top Fastener  
QUESTION: Thanks, Michael.  A couple more photos attached.  Did you mean 1860?

Thanks,
Erik

Answer
Thanks for the photos, from the second batch of photo,s the images show wood that is from the 1960s, Now I realize that this must be wood from a restoration in the 1960s but I still need to see more images. I would like to see an image of the underside or bottom of the amoire  and maybe an image of the back of the feet.

It looks like this was probably made circa 1900, and restored in the 1960s. but  I need to see more photos to confirm my analysis.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson