Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Mirror

Question
mirror front
mirror front  
mirror back
mirror back  
QUESTION: Hello Michael,

I was wondering what you could tell me about this antique mirror. When I bought it I was told it is from the 1700's but I would be interested in confirming that as well as learning the location of production and the current value. This mirror is 26"x62".

Thank you!

Alan

ANSWER: At first glance this looks like it is a French made decorative mirror that was made between 1890 and 1910. it is a reproduction of a mirror that would have been inspired by a mirror made circa 1790's but yours not from this period.  This is an Antique miorror because furniture over 100 years of age is considered Antique by US customs regulations.  The reason I can date this mirror around 1890s to 1910 is because of the wood on the back that has not been painted and shows a natural patina on the wood that is around 120 years old not more.  The construction technique also confirms to me that this was made after 1890s.

QUESTION: The approx. retail value?
Thank you

Answer
In France you can find mirrors like this for 400 to 700 Euros (for a mirror better than yours), in NYC this type of mirror sells for around $2,000 to $3,000. dollars (this means that a dealer or a decorator would pay you around $1,000 to $1,500 max if the mirror was really beautiful.  Your mirror is nice but nothing very special.  In a

I don't know Ebay but I can imagine you should be able to sell this for $1,000 dollars maximum,  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson