Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique rocking chair

Rocking chair
Rocking chair  
My husband spotted this at an antique store and wanted some info on it to see if it is worth buying

I dont know any background on it.
It looks the bottom may have been covered later in its life (professionally)
My husband is an upholsterer

It has 2 metal rods behind front and back sbottom spindles / old attempt on strengthening?

The chair seems original and everything done to it seems dated

I would like to know style and age

there is some veneer repair to do the the back.   The seat was not covered originally but was a laminated oak veneered seat.  Upholstery would be better.

there is not nich to say a style for this as is true for many things.  it is from the golden oak period 1885-1915.  chair was probably 1900 manufacturer.

what is the price on this??

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971