Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Rocking chair

grannys chair
grannys chair  

grannys chair
grannys chair  
Hello Fred,
 I have an antique Oak quarter-sawed large rocking chair with the seat and both sides of the back upholstered. It is 41 inches tall and has been in my family since 1953, there is a paper tag attached to the bottom saying: Automatic Morris Chair, Parlor Rockers, Dining Chairs and Davenports. A.L. Saffell, Fountain Square   1053 Virginia Ave.,Indianapolis, IN at the top of tag it says New phone 9554  Old, Prospect 525. I don't know if this tag was placed on chair by manufacturer or just the retail store that sold it. My grandfather purchased three of these chairs at an auction house in 1953 in Columbus, IN only this one survived because of the others burned in house fires. I would like all the information about this as you can provide, including an estimated value, it is very solid the upholstered material is worn on front of seat, it was reupholstered in the late 70's. I will send you several picture of chair.   Thank you, Stanley Terry

Stanley - Your oak rocker was factory made around the turn of the 20th century, 1890-1910. The metal frame around the springs is a major clue to the age (thanks for the great photos sent to my email). Most of the quarter sawn oak is actually oak veneer on the crest rail and wrapped around the columns above the legs. All of the structural elements are flat sawn.

Chairs like this were often part of a three or five piece parlor set that included a couch or loveseat, a tall man's chair and several side chairs. The rockers were reserved for women.

The tag belonged to a retailer in Indianapolis, not the manufacturer who probably was in Grand Rapids or Chicago.

The chair would sell at auction in the $200-$300 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida