Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Approximate age of this chair

I was given this chair and am trying to figure out more about it.  Am guessing it is mahogany and from info passed down with it it was made somewhere around early 1900's and I do know it came from Pennsylvania.

Tracy - Your chair is a factory made Colonial Revival reproduction of an 18th century Chippendale style chair. The splat (back rest) appears to be mahogany plywood. I notice a small piece of the veneer is missing. The light colored wear on the arm suggests the rest of the chair is made of a secondary wood (birch or gum) with a mahogany finish.

The corner blocks indicate first half of 20th century, 1920-1950. My book "How To Be A Furniture Detective" has an entire section of dating corner blocks. Value at auction would be in the $25-$50 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida