Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Approximate age of this chair

Question
Chair
Chair  

Arm
Arm  
I was given this chair and am trying to figure out more about it.  Am guessing it is mahogany and from info passed down with it it was made somewhere around early 1900's and I do know it came from Pennsylvania.

Answer
Tracy - Your chair is a factory made Colonial Revival reproduction of an 18th century Chippendale style chair. The splat (back rest) appears to be mahogany plywood. I notice a small piece of the veneer is missing. The light colored wear on the arm suggests the rest of the chair is made of a secondary wood (birch or gum) with a mahogany finish.

The corner blocks indicate first half of 20th century, 1920-1950. My book "How To Be A Furniture Detective" has an entire section of dating corner blocks. Value at auction would be in the $25-$50 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor